Family Welcome Centre for Newcomers
Who should visit the Family Welcome Centre
Make an appointment to visit usYou will need to make an appointment before visiting us. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 613-233-5670. Both you and your child will need to attend the appointment. Our services are completely free, but if your child is an international student, you will need to pay for their tuition. Read more about admissions procedures for international students.
Before you come to your appointment, make sure you have the following documentation so that we can help you fill out your registration forms:
What will happen during your visitYour appointment will typically be two to three hours long. Here is a brief description of what a typical appointment with our Family Welcome Centre for Newcomers might look like:
- We meet with your family. You will meet with one of our caring staff members, and together will discuss your child’s school history, personal goals, and interests.
- We assess your child. We will assess your child by asking them to show their understanding of math and English (speaking, reading and writing). This is an assessment and not a test, so there are no marks or grades, and there is no need for students to prepare. The purpose and goal of this assessment is to help us create the best plan for your child to succeed in one of our schools.
- We provide your family with feedback. Our intake and assessment teacher will provide you with feedback and recommendations from the assessment results. We will also produce an Assessment Report that will be sent to your child's new school.
- We help you complete your registration documents. Our staff will help you complete all the required registration forms, and will also set up an appointment for you to register your child at their new school.
- We help you get connected to community services. Our settlement workers are happy to provide you with information on the Ontario School System and will help connect you with community services to help you settle into your new location.