e-Learning at the OCSB
The OCSB is pleased to offer e-Learning, allowing high school students the option of taking one or more of their courses in an online format. An e-Learning course is conducted entirely online using a Learning Management System (LMS) by teachers certified to teach in Ontario. Taking an online course gives students more flexibility in their timetable and opportunities to earn credits while building valuable independent learning skills that will be beneficial to any post-secondary pathway.
e-Learning offers timetable flexibility
Success in online courses requires students to be independent and self-motivated learners. E-Learning is not intended to replace face-to-face classes, however, it provides options to students in particular scenarios, such as:
- the need for flexible timetabling due to special circumstances
- access to courses that are not offered at the student’s school
- timetable conflicts that cannot be resolved at the student’s school
Take the self-assessment quiz
Complete the online e-Learning self-assessment quiz and determine if e-Learning might be a good option for you. Be sure to print out your results. If you wish to apply for an online course, you will have to attach your results to the application for submission to your school Guidance office.
How to apply for an online course
To be considered for an online course, please complete each step in the following process.
- Complete the online self-assessment and print out your results page
- Complete the application form (including student, parent and teacher signatures)
- Print a copy of your “High School Planner” screen (from myBlueprint.ca/ocsb)
- Submit the Application Form, with the attached printouts from Step 2 and 3 to your school’s Guidance office.
e-Learning courses offered
Several online courses are offered by high schools throughout the OCSB and may be scheduled as part of a day school student’s timetable. Additional courses offered by school boards from across Ontario can also be accessed, based on availability. The following online courses are currently being offered.
|BBB4M||International Business Fundamentals|
|BMI3C||Marketing: Goods, Services, Events|
|BTA3O||Information & Communication Technology|
|BOH4M||Business Leadership: Management Fundamentals|
|CGG3O||Travel and Tourism|
|CGR4M||The Environment and Resource Management|
|CLU3M||Understanding Canadian Law|
|CLN4U||Canadian and International Law|
|EWC4U||The Writer's Craft|
|HHS4U||Families in Canada|
|HHG4M||Human Development Through the Lifespan|
|HSP3U||Introduction to Anthropology, Psychology and Sociology|
|HSB4U||Challenge and Change in Society|
|NDA3M||Current Aboriginal Issues in Canada (new in Sept 2018, subject to minimum enrolment)|
* Your application for an e-Learning course should not impact your day school course selection contract.
* Note that all parts of an application must be completed in order to be considered. Registration is subject to availability and approval by your home school.