Select Page

Budget Summary 2013-2014

The Ottawa Catholic School Board approved, on June 11, 2013, an Operating Budget for the 2013-2014 fiscal year, developed in accordance with the provincial funding model, totalling $441,363,000. The budget provides for 2013-2014 enrolment of 36,600 students.


This budget focuses on programs and initiatives that directly benefit students and further enhance student and staff success:

  • Continued implementation of full-day kindergarten;
  • Expansion of French immersion programming in small schools;
  • Continued integration of technology into the school, classroom and workplace;
  • Spending related to new elementary schools in South Nepean and Cumberland.
  • Approximately 69% of all Board spending is to occur directly in the classroom, with a further 8% being spent outside the classroom,
  • but at the school level, on items such as principals, vice-principals and office administrators for a total of 77%.


A further 16% is directed to such items as Continuing Education, school accommodation costs, and transportation of students, as reflected in the accompanying chart entitled “Expenditures by Envelope Allocation”.

Expenditures by Envelope Allocation ($ in 000s)

  • Classroom – $304,698 69%
  • Out of Classroom (School Based) – $33,333 8%
  • Continuing Education – $6,492 1%
  • School Operations & Debt Interest – $45,451 10%
  • Transportation – $21,629 5%
  • Admin & Governance – $10,801 2%
  • Facilities Renewal – $2,365 1%
  • Amortization of Tangible Capital Assets – $16,144 4%

Expenditures by Category of Expenditure ($ in 000s)

  • Salaries & Benefits – $356,289 80%
  • Classroom Spending – $16,834 4%
  • Transportation – $21,629 5%
  • School Accommodation – $19,036 4%
  • Amortization of Tangible Capital Assets – $16,253 4%
  • Interest on Long-Term Debt – $6,125 1%
  • Administration – $2,478 1%
  • Other – $2,719 1%

A note about budget summaries

The information presented and groupings employed in this summary have been aggregated for purposes of presentation and brevity. Additionally, this presentation does not include adjustments for differences between the Ontario education funding model and Canadian generally accepted accounting principles for local government established by the Public Sector Accounting Board. Such differences include, but are not limited to, consolidation of controlled entities, employee future benefits, accrued interest on long-term debt, and deferred revenues. Readers requiring more information should consult the Board’s official budget document.

Capital Spending

New capital projects spending totaling $15.3 million include:

  • $1.2 million for expenditures related to new elementary schools in South Nepean and Cumberland;
  • $1.0 million for Child Care Space Retrofits at 11 various school locations;
  • $1.3 million for system computer, furniture and equipment needs;
  • $6.2 million for school retrofits/additions/first time equipping regarding the full-day kindergarten program;
  • $3.0 million of Facilities Renewal Project spending;
  • $2.5 million for School Condition improvement projects.

Labour Intensive

Education spending is very labour intensive, as reflected in the accompanying chart entitled “By Category of Expenditure”. For 2013-2014, salaries and benefits for teaching and non-teaching staff will comprise 80% of Operating expenditures. Other major costs are: transportation 5%, classroom supplies 4%, and school accommodation costs 4%.

Under the funding model, virtually all revenues (94%) are received directly from the Province of Ontario in the form of government grant allocations. The remaining 6% is attributable to full-day kindergarten funding, non-credit English Second Language provincial program funding, Continuing Education tuition fees, community use of school revenues and other long-term lease revenues.