Budget Summary 2016-2017
The Ottawa Catholic School Board approved, on June 14, 2016, a balanced Operating Budget for the 2016-2017 fiscal year, developed in accordance with the provincial funding model, totalling $493,135,000. The budget provides for 2016-2017 enrolment of 41,200 students. This budget focuses on programs and initiatives that directly benefit students and further enhance student and staff success:
Approximately 70% of all Board spending is to occur directly in the classroom, with a further 7% being spent outside the classroom, but at the school level, on items such as principals, vice-principals and office administrators for a total of 77%. A further 15% is directed to such items as Continuing Education, school accommodation costs, and transportation of students, as reflected in the accompanying chart entitled “Expenditures by Envelope Allocation”.
Education spending is very labour intensive, as reflected in the accompanying chart entitled “By Category of Expenditure”. For 2016-2017, salaries and benefits for teaching and non-teaching staff will comprise 81% of Operating expenditures. Other major costs are: transportation 4%, classroom supplies 5%, and school accommodation costs 4%. Under the funding model, virtually all revenues (96%) are received directly from the Province of Ontario in the form of government grant allocations. The remaining 4% is attributable to Government of Ontario Special Grant revenue, non-credit English Second Language program funding, Extended Day Program revenues, Continuing Education tuition fees and community use of school revenues.
New capital projects spending totalling $29.8 million include: