Parenting and Family Literacy Centres
The Parenting and Family Literacy Centres are open on school days to children 0 – 6 years of age and their parents/caregivers. The programs are free of charge and a light nutritious snack is provided. The centres are play-based drop-in environments where children and their parents/caregivers can focus on literacy, numeracy, school readiness, and learn about community resources. The Ottawa Catholic School Board operates Parenting and Family Literacy Centres in five (5) elementary schools.
Our Parenting and Family Literacy Centres:
- Provide optimal child development through positive parent-child interactions
- Offer a family literacy program that develops early literacy and numeracy skills
- Increase parents’ knowledge, involvement and comfort level with schools
- Help children transition more easily to kindergarten by allowing centre staff and teachers to work together
- Identify children (early) with special needs
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Do I need to register in the program?
A. No. There is no pre-registration required to participate in the program. We simply ask that you sign in with the ages of the children in your care, and at some point we may request that you complete a brief form for information-gathering purposes.
Q. Does my child need to attend the school to participate in the program?
A. No. All children 0 – 6 years of age and their parents, grandparents, caregivers are welcome.
Q. Do I need to stay with my child during their time in the program?
A. Yes. Children in attendance must be accompanied by an adult and signed in each time they visit.
Q. Can I attend more than once each week?
A. Yes. You can participate in the program as often as you like during our Monday – Friday hours.
Q. Can I stay at the program over the lunch hour?
A. Absolutely. Please feel free to bring a lunch and enjoy yourself over the lunch period.