Two new Student Trustees for the Ottawa Catholic School Board were invested at the first Board meeting of the year on September 12. Sam Henriques of St. Peter High School and Grace Evans of St. Mark High School were elected by their peers for a one-year term to represent the student voice of over 40,000 OCSB students at the Boardroom table. The Board looks forward to their perspective and insight on how the Board can best meet the needs of students.
Director’s update on school start-up
Denise Andre, Director of Education, reported a smooth start to the 2017-2018 school year. With an additional 800 students joining the board community, the OCSB continues to experience enrolment growth. This has resulted in exciting employment opportunities as well, as the Board has welcomed over 200 new employees, including 133 teachers. The Director shared inspiring photos and stories from the community’s first day at school, as posted on social media channels for #OCSBFirstDay.
Continuing Education summer programs report
Ben Vallati, Superintendent of Continuing and Community Education, along with Philip Capobianco, Principal of Continuing and Community Education, and Marianne Kayed, Manager of Continuing and Community Education, presented information on the programs offered by their department during the summer of 2017. The various programs offered helped support the OCSB’s priority of supporting student wellbeing, diversity, and individual pathways.
Featured video: Focus on YouthBen Vallati, Superintendent of Continuing and Community Education, presented a video highlighting one of the Board’s summer student-custodians who was hired through the Focus on Youth program.
Planning’s update on summer activities
Fred Chrystal, Superintendent of Planning and Facilities, presented information to Trustees on summer 2017 activities in the Planning and Facilities Department. Full details are available in the Board agenda package, pages 29-36. The report provided a summary of activities undertaken, in the following areas:
- Readiness of Facilities at Start-Up
- Completion of Addition at St. Francis Xavier High School
- Completion of Renovations at Holy Family School
- Construction Underway on Addition at St. Patrick’s High School
- Fire at St. Francis of Assisi School
- Emergency Roof Work at St. Catherine School
- Auditorium Seating at Notre Dame High School
- New Water Testing Regime
- Facility Renewal Projects (FRP) and School Condition Funding projects
- Summer Use of Schools, and Summer Student Employment
- Status of New Kanata North Elementary School
Submission for pre-school capital funding
Mary Donaghy, Superintendent of Student Success Elementary, and Fred Chrystal, Superintendent of Planning and Facilities, presented information on the Board’s submissions to the Ministry of Education regarding funding for pre-school programs. Staff from the Board’s Early Learning Services and Planning and Facilities Department submitted five sites for consideration:
- St. Benedict
- St. Dominic
- St. Elizabeth Ann Seton
- Chapel Hill
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel
The schools were selected on a combination of need, demand, and feasibility. If our submissions are not successful after being reviewed, there will be future rounds of funding submissions.
News from the Boardroom Summary (September 12, 2017)
After each OCSB Board meeting, our Communications Department produces a blog post summarizing major Board decisions (formerly known as Spotlight). This blog post from the September 12, 2017 Board meeting covers the following topics:
- Swearing-in of two new Student Trustees
- Director’s update on school start-up
- Featured video: Focus on Youth
- Continuing Education summer programs report
- Ottawa Student Transportation Authority (OSTA) update
- Schedule of financial reports to the Board
- Vice-Principal appointments
- Capital Plan Update
- Planning’s update on summer activities
- Submission for pre-school capital funding
Briefs from the Boardroom
Ottawa Student Transportation Authority (OSTA) update
David Leach, Superintendent of Finance and Administration, presented an update on the activities of OSTA for the months of June, July, and August 2017. The report was prepared by OSTA’s General Manager/CAO, Vicky Kyriaco.